Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get property tax information/See if my taxes are paid/Change my mailing address?

You can view Property Tax Information on the Oneida County web site. Click this link to go directly to Oneida County's Ascent Land Records  page.  It is best to NOT enter information in all requested fields when looking for your tax information; simply enter your name or address or parcel number. Town Office personnel are unable to change the mailing address on your tax bill. To change your mailing address, please follow these steps: Enter your first & last name; click "Find Now"; click on the parcel number; under the mailing address click "Request Mailing Address Change"; click "Start Request"; enter all requested information; click "Send Request".

How do I receive the Town's weekly e-newsletter?

If you would like to receive the newsletter, please click HERE to submit your information.  The newsletter typically comes out on Mondays.

How do I receive notice of agenda postings?

If you want to be proactive and notified when various agendas are posted, please click HERE.

Does the Town have a Facebook page?

Yes.  You can view/like/follow our official Town of Three Lakes Facebook page HERE.

How do I rent my house as a vacation rental?

You need to start the process with the Oneida County Planning & Zoning Office's Administrative Review Tourist Rooming House application.  You can rent your dwelling as a vacation rental for no less than seven (7) days in most cases (it depends on what the property is zoned). You must complete the application, designate your Resident Agent,  and pay the $250.00 fee.  The application will then be sent to the Town of Three Lakes for review  by the Plan Commission, and then sent back to the Oneida County Planning & Zoning office.  If the Plan Commission has a need for the Town Board to review the application, it will go to them prior to returning to Oneida County. Keep in mind you will also need to be inspected by the Oneida County Health Department, set up your Accommodations Tax account with the Three Lakes Treasurer, and set up your state sales tax account.  The entire process takes time, as the Plan Commission meets once a month (every 4th Tuesday of the month).  The Tourist Rooming House application can be found HERE.

You will need to contact the Oneida County Public Health Department once you've been approved by the Oneida County Planning & Zoning Department.  Here are helpful links to information from the Oneida County Public Health Department:

Guide to Starting Your Home as a Vacation Rental

Steps for Obtaining Your TRH License

Wisconsin State Lodging Code ATCP 72 for Short Term Rentals

Wisconsin State Lodging Code ATCP 73 for Bed and Breakfast Establishments

Oneida County Health Department Environmental Health Program License Application

Oneida County Health Department TRH Inspection Checklist

Guide to Renting Out Your Property

You will need to complete the Town of Three Lakes' Accommodations Tax Form, as well as sending in your Accommodations Tax Quarterly Report(even if you didn't rent that quarter) to the Three Lakes Town Treasurer Lanae Kowalski.

What permits do I need for building/remodeling/adding an addition/upgrading electrical to my house?

When building or remodeling a home in Three Lakes, you will need to contact the Oneida County Planning & Zoning Department for permits related to those types of projects.  Permits and other forms can be found HERE.  The Town works with RC Inspection Agency LLC for inspections, they can be reached at 715-439-4222 or via their website HERE.

What is the process to get a driveway on my property?

Before clearing your property for a driveway on a town road, you will need to complete the permit and remit the $35.00 fee.  If you live on a private road, you do not need a permit. Once both are received, the Public Works Superintendent will inspect your staked area and contact you to let you know if it is acceptable per our ordinance.

Why do I need to pay for my fire number (address) or range sign?

Whether you want to replace your red/white fire number (address) sign with a newer reflective one; or whether you've been re-addressed by Oneida County, it is your responsibility to pay for your new fire number/address sign per our ordinance HERE.  Oneida County's Land Information office is responsible for all address re-assignments and assisting with renaming private roads.  For more information from the County's Land Information office regarding addresses, please read HERE.

How do I get an operator/bartender license?

To qualify for an operator's license, you must be at least 18 years old; meet criminal record requirements; and successfully complete a Department of Revenue approved training course if you are new or haven't worked in the previous two years.  Please click HERE for a list of the courses. Once you pass the training course you will need to complete the Town of Three Lakes Operator's License Application found HERE. The fee for a one-year operator's license is $22.00, the fee for a two-year license is $32.00 with checks made payable to Town of Three Lakes.  All licenses run July 1st - June 30th.

Who do I contact about a downed tree on a town road? 

You can call the Town Shop/Public Works Department at 715-546-3530 to report any downed trees on a town road.  Please leave a message detailing the road name, location on road, nearest address, etc.

Where do I get a burning permit?

You can get your free burning permit online from the DNR by clicking HERE; or you can call 888-947-2876.  You can find current burning restrictions and more information on that same link.

Where can I get my water tested?

The Oneida County Health Department (100 W. Keenan St.; Rhinelander) sells water test kits for private wells.  The Oneida County Health Department can only accept samples Monday - Wednesday; you need to purchase the kits from them, and fill out the paperwork.  Please call 715-369-6148 for more information.

How do I rent a watercraft slip space on Lone Stone Lake?

Each spring the Town opens up the application period for renting a watercraft slip space on a public pier.  The season generally runs from mid May to mid October each year.  There are ten (10) slips available; the rental fee is $600.00 per season.  This program is not limited to just property owners on the lake, anyone can apply.  Participation in previous years programs does not guarantee participation in the current program.  Requesting certain slips is not encouraged, but if several applicants request the same slip, one name will be drawn for that slip.  In 2023, the applications and other materials must be received by March 3.  Applications can be found HERE

Can I live in my camper on my property?

The Oneida County Zoning and Shoreland Protection Ordinance allows for placement of a camping unit or recreational vehicle pursuant to Article 3, Section 9.32(F) and 9.33(F) and Oneida County Zoning and Shoreland Protection Ordinance, which can be found HERE.  More information on Oneida County's code of ordinance chapter 9 can be found HERE.

Who provides internet/TV/cellphone coverage near me?

You can find a list of frequently requested phone numbers HERE.  This list includes garbage companies, internet providers, TV providers, cellphone providers, local DMV offices, local DNR offices, local hospitals/clinics, etc.

Why hasn't the Town picked up my garbage?

The Town of Three Lakes does not pick up your garbage.  The Town provides a Transfer Station where you can bring your garbage, recyclables and other odd items. (1313 S. Big Lake Loop Road).  The site is run by Republic Services, and staffed by one of their attendants on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays. (Wednesdays too only in summer)  You can pay by coupon, cash, or check.  More information on the Transfer Station can be found HERE.  Phone numbers for garbage collectors that service our area can be found HERE.  After reviewing the information on what is accepted at the site and you still have questions, please call Republic Services at 715-477-0077.

Can I put my brush or yard waste on the roadside for the Town to pick up?

No, the Town will not pick up/clean up your brush or yard waste.  It is your responsibility to haul your brush to the brush site located at the transfer station and pay the appropriate fees.  More information on what is allowed at the brush site can be found HERE.

I need to contact my neighbor - what information does the Town have?

We do not have list of phone numbers on residents.  You will need to find their mailing address in the Oneida County Ascent Land Records page and then you will need to search for their contact information online.

Do I need to license my dog?

Yes, per Chapter 10-Animals (Sec. 10-5) of the Town Ordinances,  you must purchase a license annually for your dog, starting once the dog is more than five (5) months of age.  Please see the dog license page HERE, and the Town Ordinance page HERE. 

How do I purchase a $20.00 Annual Launch Permit for Townline Boat Landing?

Annual launch permits can be purchased at the Town Office during normal business hours, through the mail, or by leaving your payment envelope at the landing.  Annual launch permits are valid through the end of each year.  If you're purchasing via the mail, please send a note with: your name, physical and/or mailing address, phone number, license plate number, email address, and description of vehicle.  Along with the note, you will also need to include your $20.00 check made payable to the Town of Three Lakes along with a self-addressed stamped envelope.  The daily launch fee of $5.00 can be paid at the landing in a payment envelope.

My mailbox got damaged by the plow ~ what can I do?

The Town will provide reimbursement or replacement of a mailbox that was properly installed per Town and Postal Service standards that was struck/damaged by a Town plow truck; but will not provide reimbursement or replacement for damage by flying snow from the plow truck. Please refer to our mailbox policy HERE.

Does the Town have a lost and found drop-off spot?

No, the Town doesn't have a specified lost and found spot.  As a last resort, items can be dropped off at the Town Office.

Can I drop off my expired/unused medication at the Police Department?

No, not without scheduling an appointment.  You must call 715-546-2211 to schedule a time when the office administrator or the on-duty officer is available.  Typically the Three Lakes Police Department participates twice yearly in the nationwide Prescription Drug Take Back Day when you can dispose of medication without an appointment.

How big is Three Lakes? What is our population?

Our town encompasses 99 square miles, of which about one-third is water. Most of the remaining land mass is wooded. Only about 5% of the total land is developed with homes and businesses. As of 2019 our population was 2,120. However, during the summer months when seasonal residents are present the population swells to several thousand.

What is the Equalized Value of Three Lakes?

Per the 2021 Department of Revenue's Equalized Value Report, the equalized value of Three Lakes is over one billion dollars, at $1,059,569,700.00.  That is an increase of over seventy million dollars, at approximately $78,000,000.00.

How many roads are there in Three Lakes?

We have approximately 129 miles of town-maintained roads; this does not include the federal, state and county roads and highways that pass through town.

What is the Annual Meeting?

Download the Annual Town Meeting Description PDF.

What is the Annual Town Budget Meeting?

Download the Citizens Guide to the Annual Town Budget Meeting

Who do I contact about the Septic Inspection Postcard?

If you've been notified by Oneida County Planning & Zoning that your septic needs to be inspected, they have a list of providers HERE.

When does the drawdown occur on the chain of lakes?

The Three Lakes Chain (Burnt Rollways) is operated as a reservoir to help regulate the flow in the Wisconsin River.  The basic operating plan for Burnt Rollways is to lower the lake level over the winter season, starting in late October or early November and ending in early March.  For more information please contact Wisconsin Valley Improvement Company (715) 848-0284 or visit their webpage.

Are there any RV dump stations in the area?

Local RV dump stations are located at the Three Lakes Shell Convenience Station (715-546-2277); Krist Food Mart (715-546-3521) and the Harbor Campground (715-546-3520).  Please call ahead of time to verify availability.